Jen's Life - This is Me.

"A bittergirl is not really bitter. She has crawled though the trenches of heartbreak hell and come through seasoned, experienced, wiser, and funnier. She can take on the world again with her sense of humour intact and a raft of good stories to tell."

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

practice good ergonomics.

So I woke up this morning not being able to move my neck. Not knowing why this was happening, I was freaking myself out. When I tried to move it, well, I couldn't. My whole left side of my neck and upper back were really stiff, but I proceeded with my morning routine because I had to get ready for class. Let me tell you, washing and getting my hair ready was a challenge and getting myself dressed almost didn't happen. I left class at the break and went to Health Services, where I was seen by the doctor who gave me Robax platinum to ease the muscle strain. It's probably from my desk at work...see, as a student, no one adjusts anything for you and they give you the bad desk where your mouse is 'all the way over there' so you have to reach. Anyway, so I went home with my head bent to the right and enjoyed (sarcasm) a bus ride that would have given anyone whip-lash (ow). It dawned on me that I saw this video in Anthro about how in some cultures, they shape babies heads a certain way, and to do that they take these metal coils and make sort of a head band for them. To get my neck back to up-right position, I decided to take my scarf and wrap it around so it was adjusted in the proper position. Well my neck didn't like that too much, and it resulted in a couple heinous muscle spasms - now I just have a scarf on and a sore neck. Hopefully this passes because I can't look down to study...hmm good excuse for a night off.

5 Comments:

  • At 7:54 PM , Blogger Dave said...

    I agree totally! For the longest time I had this ridiculously uncomfortable chair and CRT monitor. Back pains and bad eyes. But that's changed now, i have a nice ergonomic chair and nice LCD. Byt my mouse is still crap

     
  • At 9:21 AM , Blogger Jen Read said...

    I know eh! I'm going to have to go hunt around the office to see if I can grab a better chair haha.

     
  • At 9:39 AM , Blogger Dave said...

    Got a new mouse! Now I'm set!

     
  • At 10:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    man you need to update your blog more often, Jen... I have nothing to distract me...I'm forced to check the weather network every hour, and my on line tv guide....gaaaahhh

     
  • At 2:59 PM , Blogger Derek said...

    hah. I think i remember seeing a similar video but instead of metal coils they used tree leaves to shape the baby heads to give a bigger forehead(almost like real live coneheads). But that only works cause baby bones are softer and still growing, so i'm not sure if you can do that to your bones...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home